Translate

Monday 30 June 2014

I'm free today – other days I'm reasonable.

I'm sure the above will get lost in translation – but here goes an explanation.

When I came “Up To Dublin” from “The Bogs” I was a raw inexperienced young lad – but I had ambitions.

One of these centred around the more experienced girl, who was secretary to the Big Boss.

During training and set up of my employee record, and getting a listing of my duties, and being introduced, she was my handler.

Apparently my performance at the oral interview was even at that early stage of my short career in The Civil Service gaining me some notoriety.

Down home I was appearing in an amateur production of Walter Macken's Home Is The Hero, playing the part of Manchester Monaghan, and came to the interview in character – explaining “I don't normally look as scruffy as this but I'm playing a Teddy-boy in a play.”

That rainy day in Dublin, three men sat in a hot stuffy room asking questions of young nervous candidates, until late in the afternoon, when I arrived on the scene.

We laughed, and joked about my appearance and the play and the part, and I gave a short performance and somewhere along the way these men decided – we like this youngster – and we will employ him.

So weeks later there I am dreaming of a date with Mary, full of the joys of spring, hoping I had a reputation as a ladies man: so I asked her out.

Mary, what night are you free? The reply put me firmly back in my box. “I'm not free any night! But most nights I'm reasonable.”

So for Monday and Tuesday – the kindle edition of my book is Free and Reasonable.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...