“If you have the words, there's always a chance that you'll find the way.”
― Seamus Heaney, Stepping Stones: Interviews with Seamus Heaney
I was at a funeral the weekend, a good writer, a lover of nature, and his family. Dead, far to young.
He liked the poetry of Heaney and Kavanagh.
At Mass the priest talked about his love of the Dawn Chorus, and how he would bring the kids, into woods on nature walks.
We were just finished the burial: it's customary at that point to say a decade of the Rosary. But the birds were singing, a robin was flitting around on the ground, and the priest said "Let's just listen to the birds singing." We did for a few minutes and I felt a little less sad that I had lost a friend.
Today a phrase came to mind.
The eulogy was birdsong.
Translate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured post
Who IS minding the shop in 2025?
It is a good question since Chang & Eng are in charge again. I would prefer Zig and Zag, or Martin & Lewis, since I think photos ...
-
Over the Bank Holiday Weekend you will see the signs: "Slow Down This Bank Holiday Weekend". Well in the past I tried, and tried...
-
Let your fingers do the talking. How many times do you say “Google It” or just type random thoughts into the search box and be surpri...
-
Asked a lady, who reads a lot – well if you call having a Kindle on the go, even when relaxing over a drink: reading – to have a l...
No comments:
Post a Comment