Translate

Tuesday 28 April 2015

The Eulogy Was Birdsong.

“If you have the words, there's always a chance that you'll find the way.” 
― Seamus HeaneyStepping Stones: Interviews with Seamus Heaney

I was at a funeral the weekend, a good writer, a lover of nature, and his family. Dead, far to young.

He liked the poetry of Heaney and Kavanagh.

At Mass the priest talked about his love of the Dawn Chorus, and how he would bring the kids, into woods on nature walks.

We were just finished the burial: it's customary at that point to say a decade of the Rosary. But the birds were singing, a robin was flitting around on the ground, and the priest said "Let's just listen to the birds singing." We did for a few minutes and I felt a little less sad that I had lost a friend.

Today a phrase came to mind.

The eulogy was birdsong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...