Translate

Monday 4 January 2016

What is this mysterious person – an editor – that some people say I need to employ to produce my book?

I get amused when on a forum: Createspace or Amazon, a would be writer asks “Do I need and editor?”

I want to scream – WHAT TYPE OF EDITOR? There are many types, of which the following is only a sample.


Acquisitions Editor

  • Finds and signs authors with publishable work or book proposals that fit the publisher's goals.
Project Editor
  • Responsible for setting and maintaining editorial standards. (House Style).
Developmental Editor
  • Collaborates with the author from an early stage to develop a work, that they might publish.
Copy editor
  • Corrects errors in grammar, usage, and consistency
  • Queries the author with questions about conflicting statements or facts and incorporates the changes
Proofreader
  • Scours the typeset manuscript for typos and other errors.
But I suppose all they are asking is do I need someone to proofread my book.


So next time someone says I am an experienced editor, and used to work at “Lick Your Lips” magazine ask: “What type of editor?”






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...