Translate

Thursday 31 January 2013

Politicians and their little helpers!


All the blather going on reminds me of an encounter I had with a prominent NCD ex-politician and a retinue of canvassers during the second EU referendum on the treaty. Was that as far back as 2009?

I read all the information on the first attempt, including the thousands of words of drivel, it was proposed we would insert into our constitution. I considered it a bridge too far and voted NO.

Next time around the insertion was smaller more concise and one that if given a little relish I could just about swallow.

Anyway back to the canvassers. I asked one person what the question on the ballot paper would be. They replied that I would be asked to vote Yes or NO. I asked on what. They said THE TREATY.

I then asked the politician what the question would be and he racked his brain (singular) for a while and remembered what they had been told to say by their political masters, who were sh-one-ting themselves that we might vote No again.

He said that we were going to be asked to vote on replacing an article in our constitution with a new article relating to the treaty. It was the correct answer.

OH NO says his canvasser helper WE CAN'T DO THAT. IF WE WANT TO DO THAT WE HAVE TO HAVE A CONSTITUTIONAL REFERENDUM.

I smiled and continued on my way.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...