Translate

Tuesday 6 October 2015

Maybe this is a clue to the card trick!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25780056-streets-of-birdsong-stories-from-ireland

More Cardman

Johnny also did disappearing paper balls beneath the hat tricks. Then one night, Arthur Guinness let my father see the hidden balls in his hand. When Dad managed to sneak his own hand-hidden paper balls beneath the hat.  Johnny - lifting it to declare and now we have no balls left - instead revealed that the hat was covering three paper balls. He left the house in a fury and retired the trick.


I never learned how he did the card trick, of naming all the cards in the deck I held in my hand. When I told Dad he said Johnny had a rhyme. He arranged the cards in that order and then adjusted the rhyme in his head depending on how well they were shuffled. “Once, he taught me one,” he said.
In the year Three Eighty Seven there was One Queen, in Sixty Four she had Two sons the Jack and the King and their ages were Ten and Fourteen. You make that with the Nine and Five.
With it you can count out cards in order. You know, O-N-E, putting these cards to the bottom, of the thirteen cards,  and then turning over the fourth card, The Ace, T-W-O the two, right to the end, Q-U-E-E-N and you’re left with the King.”
I can see Johnny as I left him, beside the fire, drinking his sweet Smithwicks, running his rhymes in his head, having a good day, smiling at the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...