Translate

Friday 2 December 2016

As I grow older and wiser, I'm getting smaller!


Don't panic, don't panic - I only mean my books will be smaller from now on for a while. I will be Kindling 12,000 or 15,000 word efforts.

You see although the sequel to In The Wicker Wood is progressing and I have a first draft  ready, I have decided, as I usually do,  to park the work for a few weeks.

A friend has asked me to help him with his first book. At present he is reading a copy of WW and because he is a not a regular reader, he seems to be skimming or not understanding the plot and the characters.

When you are asked - "Where did the drugs go to before the police arrived?"

You reply "Remember the shawlie, the fish lady who was in the alley with a barrow, she flinched them."

"Missed that."

So you come home and have a look at the book and you see.....By the time the heavy gang of Gardai arrive....at The Bootery...Watcher had emptied it of the drug consignment.....

I'm having second thoughts. Not about WW: about helping him. No risk - no blame.

So then I did a bit of reading to relax and came across Nathan Meunier's e-book, "Write Short Kindle Books".

So I went back to Streets of Birdsong (short stories and poetry). I assembled a book and last year used it to try and learn how D2D worked. It worked fine but, I was not happy with the book and later I withdrew it.

Now I am having a look at rewriting and perhaps re-titling that and making a small Kindle and selling it for 99 Cents, or 99P.

Thanks Nathan, but the problem with your advice is that when my brain waved this brainwave notion and I acted on it. It means I will have to go back, next week, and finish your book for the marketing and promotion advice.

Nah Nathan, - only joking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...