Translate

Friday 27 January 2017

Said it before - writers should never review other writers' books. Lee Child Night School.


Night School. Lee Child.
The Stats, as of now 27th January 2017 is: 3,922 reviews 44% 5 Star and 22% is 4 Stars.

And I said it before - real writers, proud of their craft, doing the best they can should never review another writer's work.

I have been a Child fan since I read One Shot, in 2005: used to devour the stories, avid reader.
Then by Never Go Back in 2013 I was having concerns that the writing had changed. After 61 Hours I felt that the plots were not conforming to where I had expected Reacher was going to. A big "What happened After the car drove away into the Sunset" question.

Nevertheless, I stuck with Reacher/Child out of obligation: that is he had entertained me and I would wait and see what would develop.

In the heel of the hunt (cliche intentional) this trust has now been breached.

I got Night School over Christmas. Normally I would have had it devoured before the turkey bones were soup, but by early January I was still on page 12.

Then page 37 ...You should call your brother. At Treasury. (Bloody full stop.) At Treasury. (Another full stop, where's the verb, subject or predicate?)

I Thought Joe was dead! What's this. OK, I struggled on. The first time I ever fought to keep reading a Reacher tale. Then on Page 126 Orozco said, You got it boss. (Reacher) I'm not your boss, any more. What is this Crap? Isn't Reacher an MP Commander? Didn't he leave the army - retiring out of that position and going on the lam? OK, maybe later on this will become clearer.

By page 208 I was all at sea. Reacher is 35 years old! In 1996! Born in 1961, 13 years in the MP's where he was the first C.O. So where was he when he lost his milk teeth?

But other things seemed wrong. Reacher in bed with Sinclair - she did not comments on his shrapnel wounds or bullet scars. In all the other books these are presented as a badge of courage.

The Y2K discussion is all confused. I was there I worked on the so called problem and in the end it was another weapon of mass destruction that was a wet-fishy tale.


By Chapter 32 I was in serious real Reacher Withdrawal, asking myself is this alternative Reality or Reacher in the Twilight Zone. Then Page 362 did it for me with the discussion on sevens and ones. I was expecting a few pages later to have the six not underlined and the nine underlined, mentioned along with the zero with a slash to distinguish it from the letter O.

But before that page 324 had given me a real giggle. I read it...on a bus ....in the Houston Chronicle, and all I could visualise is a Bus with a banner, in the Chronicle. Imperial Sugar, for your sweet tooth.

Amazon reviews for this book rave, and say it's great. It's not and what P's me off it that some of those readers may not even have been reading when Child produced his first book Killing Floor in 1997.

I'm sorry Lee, but I feel you have abandoned your real, long time book buying  Reacher fans.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...