Translate

Friday 20 April 2018

A nice day here and me editing genes kicks in. WWII Sequel. Possible Pub scene - always include one of those...



Fanahan had to admit that Gerry had tidied it up, and gave the place a lick of paint. He was unsure about the big framed painting of Milo R.I.P. Rot in Purgatory, does that place exist any more? Does Limbo either? It was hanging at the back, behind the counter above the mirror, it looked like he was smiling down at the punters!
A new, different clientele...if you could call toss-pots and drunkards clientele, were now coming into the Saloon Bar. The plonker changed the name as well. Fanahan knew that late on a Saturday night, in this location, after watching, and iPhone betting on the nags all day, these boys would act like cowboys in a saloon brawl.
What cha say to her, me gurlfrien?
Nuttin.
Well that's it then - just say nuttin or ya'll be pickin up yer teeth – wan by wan.
But a couple of new customers were dropping in. Scoping the place out: no doubt. Shay was missing the old crowd – even the Prick – you could get a rise out of him. Now, it seemed, he had reverted into Georgie, cast off the cloths of his granny the duchess, and was on the lam. But the powers in the job,were ignoring the fact that he appeared to have hung himself. They believed he had – Shay knew better: he checked the credentials of the corpse and it was a real auld one, not a man.
I need a diversion, from me problems. I need to stir some shit, of me own.
Would you like a drink? Pal.” He asked the suited, shabbily suited, gentleman on his right turned who turned and looked Shay up and down.
No thank you. Pal! I'm fine and on my own: enjoying my own company.”
Oh! La-de-daw. Pal! It's detective to you, Detective Inspector Fanahan, to be exact. Who are you?”
Flustered at such a direct approach, cautiously he replied. “Church Willmore is my name.”
Church? After Churchill, it's no wonder you shortened that. What do you do, Church?”
I'm retired.”
Fanahan was starting to enjoy himself, interrogation was something he enjoyed, particularly when it served his purpose of upsetting someone.
What did you do then? How would you describe yourself? Mr. Retired.”
I would say, I was a former editor at the Irish Press Newspaper Group.”
Fanahan wanted to reply and I'm a former schoolboy but instead continued twisting the knife. “Sure that went out of business in 1995, didn't it. Connie was the only journalist in that rag, the rest acted like stringers. The mouthpiece of De Valera. He founded it. Didn't he?”
So they say detective.”
Hop it then back to your own company, I'm tired engaging with you.”
Fanahan remembered the note he had picked up in the hospital: the one Georgie left for him, after he hanged the auld dear to pretend it was himself as the duchess. He fished it out of his pocket, opened the envelope and glanced at the message.

I've changed my drink to a Brandy and Port, Shay. Suppose you are still a pint and a ball o' malt chaser man. See you soon and we can reminisce.

I Knew it. I knew he was on the lam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...