Translate

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Epiphany as Revelation.


I've been reading the Irish Times Magazine again: even though I heard it said on The Telly that it was designed to be read by “Ladies” not “Gents”.

For those of you who have a curious mind perhaps you can discern the use of the “Lavatory Terms” above, and what they might mean in a “collective unconscious” sense.

This weekend soon after opening the cover I encounter the following:-

“This column comes to you from my boyfriend's childhood home..(where)..”my mother-in-law-in waiting...”

So I immediately get confused : because if the writer is referring to her boyfriend then his mother is not her mother in law in waiting.

If on the other hand her companion is her Fiancée then the lady may well be her prospective MIL. (See..sometime I can even use the new text speak in a sensible manner; LOL.)

But this old fashioned thinking sometimes gets me into trouble. 

So does hoping that editors and journalists can write sensible content in the so called English Language.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...