Translate

Sunday 12 April 2020

Peggy's Secret...Is Revealed....


They’re at it again Fighting. All we do now is fight. About me and the baby. I didn’t mean to get this way. In the family way. It’s not as if I planned it. It just happened. I love him and he loves me and that’s all that matters. He says we can run away to England, but if I do that who will look after Bossman. They’re going to send me away to have it. Then they will take it away and I’ll never see my daughter or son again. It will be a son and he will grow up to have his fathers smile. It’s a lovely smile - a scamp’s smile.

They’re gone. Thank God. They’re gone. Here’s Bossman and the dinner’s ready. He might be in good humour. Here’s the dinner Boss. It’s bacon and cabbage just what you like.
I didn’t do it on purpose. Molly didn’t want him! She married his brother. He’s older and has a few pounds. Jimmy has nothing: just the shirt on his back.
I DON’T KNOW WHY! What Molly has is only a bit of paper. ONLY A BIT OF PAPER. I’LL HAVE ONE TOO. SOON. You’ll see. Everyone will see…

At the entrance to the Nursing Home, Donie and a younger man get out of a car.
"Go in through the front doors. Don’t go right: there’s a door to the left. That leads to a small stairs. Go up that to the first floor. Go out the door in front and it’s the second room on the left."
Donie pays the hackney fare, and slowly follows the younger man into the home and up towards Peggy' room.

He arrives and glances into Peggy's room, where she is alone. Moved to solitude to await death. James sits beside the bed, he is holding her hand, leaning down and crying, the tears fall on to the white bed sheet. A mirror to the colour in Peggy's face. Donie stands at the door: a sentry, on guard.
"Mam. Mam it’s me. It’s James. I came, Donie found me and got in contact, He phoned. I’m here now. It’s going to be all right Mam."
Hearing his voice Peggy stirs, trying to move towards the sound.
"Jimmy? Jimmy is that you?"
" No Mam. It’s me James. Remember?"
"James. Oh! James. I missed you. You’ll have to go! They’ll run you."
"Not any more Mam. Not this time, I won’t let them. I’m here to look after you now."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...