Translate

Monday 13 April 2020

The Caged Songbird (the title of the play) sings again...



Well Jonnie, you left a trail and I followed it. I found James. Peggy's sleeping now and I’d say it won’t be long now before she joins yourself and the Bossman and the Mam and the rest of the clan. My parents as well, This is the first time I saw her peaceful in a while. I’d say she’s dreaming. We will wait for a while to see if she wakes up properly. I did the job for you. I watched over her. I made up my mind and brought the boy to see her. Rest easy now. I know it troubled you that you let the Bossman send the baby away. Made him an orphan you said. But sure I knew the Bossman too. It would have been hard to change his mind.

The Club Football Final was a bad match. Our lads couldn’t match the Boys from Knockbride around midfield...

Peggy is home again talking to Jimmy. The years have rolled back just like a dream travel daydream.

The day is lovely and bright: a happy day. I’m looking out across the fields. The hens and chickens are fussed, shoving one another away, pecking at the grain, I’m throwing to them, cackling and squabbling.

I’m glad you came back. They all said you were gone for good, that you were married over there. I told them they were wrong. I waited. I knew you would come back. They took our son away. I called him James. I cried for him and that you were not here with us. Now you found me. Just like he did. He came for me. I told him I never wanted to give him away. That they made me. I told him to keep quiet or they might hunt him away again. He forgave me. When I got the place, after Jonnie, I made a will. I left it all to him but he won’t need it now you’re back. This time you don’t have to go away. This time it will be different. This time we will look after him together. Will we sing our song? It's been so long since I felt like singing anything.

My thoughts today, though I'm far away,
Dwell on Tyrconnell's shore,
The salt sea air and the colleens fair,
Of lovely green Gweedore.
There's a flower there, beyond compare,
That I'll treasure evermore,
It's that grand colleen, in her gown of green,
The Rose of Aranmore.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

I am writing a new novella...I know I said I was finished...

  The Adventures of Double-barrelled Scatter Gun O'Sea A Novella for Students of B U D A Novell...